iZook – Suzuki 4×4 Tech Information, Accessories, Travel & Adventure

Samurai – “Project #2” Rear Disc Brakes 7 OTT Steering

Wrenchin' with IZookwith Jim Bova Project #2 Rides Again

 

Project #2 has taken many a twist and turn to get to where it is today. I was never too sure if I wanted to finish it ( if our Zukes are EVER finished) sell it, part it....whatever. I finally decided that seeing I had come this far I might as well get it reregistered and insured and at least drive it for a couple years. Some things that need to be addressed were steering, shocks, tires, and body. The Z link didn't make me happy and I was able to get a used OTT steering . Ford shock towers and cheapy Gabriel shocks keep down the bounce. I am currently looking for a used set of 30's or 31"s for tires and bodywork is a next year thing. Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look...These two pictures show the Trail Tough Missing Link rests. If your front bumper doesn't allow for the M/L rests these are the way to go. (Note helper in pic 1) The Z-Link served its time well but I never really liked the bumpsteer. I bought an OTT steering and sold the "Z". Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look... Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look...These 4 bolts will need to be removed to mount the OTT steering. Give them a good soaking before you try to break them free.Here is one problem when you buy used and there are no instructions. This piece is mounted in the wrong direction. I am glad that the guy who sold it to me had pics of it on the Zuke. Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look...Here is how it is supposed to mount using longer bolts holds everything together.Another view of everything mounted. Click through for a closer look...Complete steering. Bye-bye bump steer. Click through for a closer look...Click through for a closer look...Another casualty of letting a vehicle sit. I removed the rotor and with an orbital sander I was able to smooth them out. Click through for a closer look...The last thing I did up front was weld on Ford towers from a Ford Pickup. I cut a few inches off the bottom of the tower and welded them to a piece of 3/16" steel. I then welded the plate to the frame. The reason I did it this way was from hearing stories of the welded on towers pulling the piece of frame off where the tower was mounted. This spreads out the force.That brings an end to this installment of Project #2. Next time I will show the Sarge prepped Pony carb and home built air cleaner. I also installed a fold down windshield kit and hope to have the heater working before Old Man Winter blows in.

 

Questions/comments: redidbull@hotmail.com   08/11/10 14:51:14

Share

iZook Connect on Facebook: